Michael's Wedding Ring

After twenty years of service and three years of it cutting his finger, my Step Father, Michael, decided to finally bite the bullet and have his wedding ring refurbished. Though it looked beautiful and ornate to begin with, the 9ct gold ‘rope’ inlay on Michael’s original ring wore away over time and would regularly come apart leaving sharp bits of metal exposed.

Normally, a much easier and more economical way to go about fixing a ring like this would be to remelt it and start again with a less fragile design. In Michael’s case though, the ring had an important and sentimental message engraved inside that he wanted to keep. The solution? A technique that I have been known to have had bad dreams about: the gold inlay.

The original ring complete with engraving and sharp bit of gold 'rope' sticking out

The original ring complete with engraving and sharp bit of gold 'rope' sticking out

To start with I had to remove the original 'rope' inlay. Luckily not all of it was soldered down so I was able to pull it apart with pliers

To start with I had to remove the original 'rope' inlay. Luckily not all of it was soldered down so I was able to pull it apart with pliers

The bits that were soldered down needed to be completely filed away, leaving the very thin engraved ring underneath

The bits that were soldered down needed to be completely filed away, leaving the very thin engraved ring underneath

I then made a half round ring that fit perfectly into the channel of the original ring

I then made a half round ring that fit perfectly into the channel of the original ring

I soldered the two together ensuring that there were no holes in the solder then filed away excess once it was cooled.

I soldered the two together ensuring that there were no holes in the solder then filed away excess once it was cooled.

I then sanded and polished the ring. It was offensively shiny which isn't really Michael's style (or mine!!) so I masked the ring off and dulled the inlay down to a slightly matte finish while leaving the edges polished. Much better!

I then sanded and polished the ring. It was offensively shiny which isn't really Michael's style (or mine!!) so I masked the ring off and dulled the inlay down to a slightly matte finish while leaving the edges polished. Much better!

The finished ring all ready for sending. Now that has been refurbished, he should get at least another 20 years out of it.

The finished ring all ready for sending. Now that has been refurbished, he should get at least another 20 years out of it.